We wanted to take the time to introduce you to the many wonderful opportunities available for students at Mary Baldwin University. Mary Baldwin is a distinctive small university located in the beautiful Staunton, Virginia, close to Harrisonburg and Charlottesville. Beginning in Fall 2017, at Mary Baldwin University men and women can experience our fast track-career programs through our residential University College by participating in any one of these signature living and learning communities:
- Murphy Deming Scholars in the Health Professions: Students can earn their degree in health sciences, biology, chemistry, or psychology in three years and enter graduate school early with a professional portfolio of internships, clinical shadowing, and research.
- Education Leaders: Students can earn a bachelor’s degree and a Master of Arts in Teaching in four years and enter the workforce licensed in one or more high demand areas, prepared to lead in the classroom and beyond.
- Shakespeare and Performance: Immersive cultural experiences leading to Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in 4 or 5 years (Master of Letters in Shakespeare; Master of Arts in Teaching; Micro-MBA). Students will learn from experienced, talented, and professional faculty as well as esteemed guest artists.
Within the residential College for Women, there are even more unique learning opportunities for your students:
- Women Entrepreneurs: A pioneering new living learning community leading to a certificate in entrepreneurship and an MBA in four years.
- Virginia Women’s Institute for Leadership: The nation’s only cadet corps for women, VWIL is a premiere leadership program that supports the self-discipline needed to succeed in military and civilian life.
- Program for the Exceptionally Gifted: Skip all or part of high school through this immersive, accelerated path to a bachelor’s degree.
Experience the Leadership Advantage. This signature set of experiences will prepare you well for your future. You will connect ideas with action through:
- Exceptional academics guided by faculty who are committed to student success; 56 majors and minors
- Opportunities for experiential learning, in and out of the classroom; 570 leadership positions
- Personal and professional development, so students can translate their education into career success
Please visit our website here for more information on these exciting programs and new initiatives.
We look forward to hopefully being able to schedule a time to meet with students about the wonderful initiatives taking place at Mary Baldwin University.
Amber Michelle Wilkins
Interim Director of Admissions
Carnegie Mellon University (PA) - Summer Academy for Math + Science (SAMS)
The SAMS programs if for high school students entering their junior or seniors year of high school who are interested in math-based disciplines, such as engineering or science. The hands-on six-week program takes place at Carnegie Mellon University and focuses on technical areas of study, building on both academic and personal skills which are required for admission to top colleges and universities. Learn more about the Carnegie Mellon University – Summer Academy for Mathematics and Science (SAMS)
Champlain College (VT)
Here at Champlain College – Burlington, VT – we offer summer programs in Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity, as well as Game Design depending on the interest.
The programs are quite strong…for many, it puts Champlain on the map. Plus, Burlington is a paradise in the summertime.
Marist College (NY)
Marist has an outstanding Summer Pre-College Program for rising juniors and seniors in high school. This residential program gives the student the option to spend 2 weeks on campus and earn 3 college credits, or stay for 4 weeks and earn 6 college credits. The only course that we offer in technology is our Game Design program, offered June 25th – July 8th. No programming experience is required, students work in groups based on diverse experience levels. I included a link to the program website, which includes a description, videos, and more information on the application process.
Game Design: http://www.marist.edu/summerinstitutes/game/
Pennsylvania College of Technology (PA)
Pennsylvania College of Technology, a special mission affiliate of Penn State University located in Williamsport, PA offers a program called “Designing a Digital Future.” Participants explore a variety of information technology fields including gaming, programming, networking, cybersecurity, and mobile applications at this fun and interactive two-day camp. Participants will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in our labs and classrooms and participate in gaming, simulation, and cybersecurity activities. Hands-on workshops will guide them to develop their own personal game, program robots, and develop mobile apps. You can find more information about this program at https://www.pct.edu/summercamps/digitalCamp/
UPENN SUMMER (PA) – Summer Academies
July 2 – July 22, 2017
UPENN (PA) – School of Engineering
The School of Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania offers a unique opportunity for a selective group of highly motivated and talented high school students to experience rigorous and challenging college-level coursework for college credit. The Academy’s intensive, three-week programs combine sophisticated theory with hands-on practical experience in cutting-edge technologies. Participants of the SAAST program enroll in one of six offered courses: biotechnology, nanotechnology, robotics, computer science, computer graphics, and engineering complex networks.
More summer programs in Pennsylvania
Rochester Institute of Technology (NY)
RIT’s College & Careers Program is a two-day career conference that includes four technology/computer science workshops. It is offered July 21-22 or August 4-5 and you can see the workshops offered last year at: http://www.rit.edu/emcs/admissions/careers/. Registration opens in late May, about 600 students from across the country attend each weekend and there is no admission criteria for entrance. Last year’s cost was $145 which included meals and overnight stay on campus. Parent workshops are also offered.
Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ)
Blueprint Signature Summer Programs at UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (FL)
Open To Students Entering Grades 9 – 12
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (MA)
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) has a a program called Frontiers that is a live-on program for students during the summer and students I have worked with really enjoyed the program. They offer a variety of subjects in tech areas.
University of New Hampshire (NH)