|The University of Washington is excited to be one of the nearly 90 public and private universities across the U.S. that comprise the Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success, a new college planning and application platform.
|What Does It Offer?
Unlike traditional college application systems, which are used only to submit an application, the Coalition platform will allow high school students to set up an account and begin learning about the application and financial aid process as early as the ninth grade. The platform includes three main features:
- Virtual Locker. Students can collect and store information that may be useful when they apply.
- Collaboration Platform. The teachers, counselors, employers, and mentors who are supporting the student’s college search and application can offer feedback.
- Application Portal. Students select the information from their Virtual Locker that they want to include with their application to Coalition member universities.
|These first two features are scheduled to open in April 2016, and the third is scheduled to open in July 2016.
|Why Did We Join?
The UW has long sought to join a national application platform to make it easier for our students to apply. The Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success offers the first truly national application to provide us with sufficient flexibility. We are proud that several UW staff members are helping design the Coalition application, which gives us the opportunity to develop features that will aid UW applicants:
- Students may complete many of the self-reported academic fields before the senior year, allowing them to work on their application as they move through high school. We are hoping that this feature will reduce stress and frenzy for students, counselors, and families in the fall of the senior year.
- These academic fields will transfer to any other Coalition member university whose application also requires a self-reported academic record for grades 9-12.
|How Will It Work at the UW?
- The Coalition application will be the UW’s only application for freshman admission beginning with applicants for autumn 2017.
- U.S. and international freshmen will use the same application.
- We will continue to request — at the time of application — only the self-reported academic record for grades 9–12, a policy that greatly expedites application processing.
- We will continue to require final transcripts for those who confirm enrollment.
|The Coalition is using CollegeNet, the same Portland, OR-based vendor the UW has used for years. We are confident that CollegeNet is building a robust and reliable system.
|We hope that beginning in April, high school students in all grades will create Coalition accounts and let us know if they wish to learn more about the UW. At the same time, we wish to reassure everyone on the school side that UW applicants are in no way required to use the features of the Coalition platform.
- Students may create an account for the sole purpose of applying for admission. They don’t need to use the Virtual Locker or Collaboration Platform. None of their information will be shared with other Coalition member universities unless they choose to share their information or apply to other Coalition universities using the Coalition application.
- Once the UW freshman application is open, students may choose to go right from the Admissions website to the online application. For such students, the experience will be very similar to how it was in past years. They will set up a Coalition account in the same way that applicants previously had to set up a CollegeNet account.
Director of Admissions