|Students, I sincerely hope my fellow members of the Centre Admission and Financial Aid team and I can come alongside in ways that support and help you. Click Meet Your Counselor for the staff member designated for your area. In that spirit, I offer a few brief updates.
- Affordability: We urge students to use our Net Price Calculator. It is a reliable and relatively simple way to find out early whether Centre is financially realistic. Last year, over 60 percent of our first-year students received financial aid. For them, the average cost for tuition, room and board, after scholarships and aid, was $15,150. Another 30 percent received merit scholarships.
- Nominate scholars! We invite the nomination of outstanding students for our three major mentored scholarship programs – Brown Fellows, Grissom Scholars, and Lincoln Scholars. Each program is different in character and mission, but all three provide full-tuition or full-ride scholarships, plus enrichment funding, for a total of 30 students per year. Nominations begin September 15.
- Applying is simple and free. We use the Common Application, we have no fee, and our supplemental information is exceedingly short. (We have declined the opportunity to use the Coalition application, judging it an unnecessary complication for students, counselors, and our staff.) Early Decision applications are due November 15, Early Action on December 1, and Regular Decision applications, January 15.
- Standardized testing: Many counselors wonder why Centre is not test optional. We use standardized tests in limited, responsible ways, set in appropriate context of many other, better predictors of success on our campus. We continue to “say yes” to the vast majority of students who are prepared to succeed at Centre, and test scores alone are not a barrier to admission for otherwise well-matched students, who should apply without fear that we will make a decision on tests alone.
- New Director of Admission: Some of you know Pam Baughman as a consummate admission professional and long-time member of Centre’s staff. I’m pleased to announce that she has been promoted to Director of Admission and Associate Dean, and introduce her as another resource for you and your students.
I wish you an enjoyable, successful and rewarding year!
Dean of Admission and Financial Aid